Shapewear care: How to Wash, How to Wear!
One of the most common complaints about shapewear -especially the cheap variety- is how little they last: wash and dry it once and it’s usually game over. We at #Shapermint have taken great care in selecting only the most durable, high-quality garments we’ve had the pleasure to try out.
However, there is some care that needs to be taken when washing or wearing your shapewear. Keep the following in mind and you’ll have long-lasting, crazy cheap shapewear that’ll last a LOT longer.
Here’s the secret to the perfect shapewear care:
How to WEAR your shapewear
- If you’re one of our Everyday Shapewear Girls, get a pair: it’s best to let your shapewear breathe between wears. Its super slimming fabric needs to recover after a day, so it’s best to get two, just in case.
- Actually, we recommend owning THREE of whatever shapewear you choose, especially if you’re one of our Everyday Shapewear Girls: one to wear, one to wash and one to spare. Always prepared!
- Shapewear is STILL underwear, even if you’re wearing it over your panties / bras. It has direct contact with your skin! So try not to wear your shapewear more than twice before you throw that little baby into the washer.
- Call us old fashioned, but we LOVE matching underwear sets. So if you’re anything like us, make sure you have a minimum of two matching shapewear panties / shorts and tops / bras. You never know when date night might hit ;-)
How to WASH your shapewear
- You can wash your shapewear in a washing machine, but make sure it’s a gentle cycle, like the one you usually use for cashmere or silk. If you can, try to hand wash it every now and then - it’ll last longer!
There’s an awesome invention called “wash bags”. These are mesh bags used for laundry lingerie and delicate clothes and they are perfect for washing your shapewear too. Just make sure to not wash your shapewear along with bras with hooks and clasps.
Please, NO DRYERS. After you’ve been around as much as we’ve been, you know dryers are the DEVIL – shapewear or any clothing. Make sure you air dry your shapewear to preserve the fabric’s elasticity as best as possible.
Most manufacturers suggest you hand-wash your shapewear but… yeah. We confess we’ve been too lazy to do this every. single. time. So just make sure you hand-wash it sometimes. Yes, it will last longer if you do, but ain’t nobody got time for that (plus, once you get ‘em cheap, you can just replace them!)
If you’re hand-washing, rinse cold. If you’re not, go for the lower temperature setting in your washer. Try to avoid centrifuging. This will restore the garment’s shape and elasticity.
So NOT twist it to remove excess water. Please!
Delicate detergents only. If you don’t have a specific detergent for delicate clothes, don’t freak out - you can use a regular baby shampoo as well. Just be sure to rinse entirely before letting it dry. Think about how you care for your existing underwear – this should be the staple for your shapewear too.
If you take all of these tips into consideration your shapewear’s going to last much, MUCH longer. So it’s not really just about taking care of your shapewear - it’s your pocket we’re also thinking about!
Any other tips you have? Let us know!